Date: October 14, 2010
Call For Nominations Victoria Leadership Awards 2011
Now is your chance to recognize an exemplary community hero in one of six prestigious award categories. Nominations for Victoria’s Leadership Awards (VLAs) are now being accepted for the 2011 awards ceremony.
Spearheaded by Leadership Victoria, the annual VLA awards are a partnership between Leadership Victoria, the University of Victoria, the Rotary Clubs of Greater Victoria, and the Victoria Foundation.
Leadership Victoria is a community-based, voluntary organization committed to developing, supporting, recognizing and honouring outstanding community leaders. Since its formation in 2000, it has become the “go to” organization for community leadership in Greater Victoria, graduating over 200 leaders who work collaboratively to resolve the complex challenges facing our city.
Leadership Victoria President Kate Mansell is proud of how the VLAs honour the everyday heroes in our city. "The VLAs are a little like Victoria's Academy Awards for community leadership. It is our goal to recognize those individuals who inspire us all to do just a little more to build a more resilient, vibrant and healthy community.” Victoria is blessed with leaders working in diverse fields across a variety of sectors and the award categories reflect that diversity. "From youth to lifetime achievement, our awards recognize an incredible array of passionate and committed leaders," emphasized Mansell. "I encourage all of us to take the time to nominate someone who deserves recognition for their efforts, commitment and dedication in making our community a better place in which to live.”
The annual awards comprise six categories:
- The University of Victoria Community Leadership Awards, which acknowledge outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Rotary Community Leadership Awards, which recognize community leaders who meet the Rotary test of the highest levels of ethical behaviour and community leadership benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Vancity Youth Award, which acknowledges an emerging leader between the ages of 20 and 30 years of age who demonstrates community leadership and support for social justice, economic self-reliance or environmental responsibility within our community (one award per year).
- The Leadership Victoria Alumni Award, which recognizes a graduate of the Leadership Victoria program who continues to demonstrate outstanding leadership and service in the Victoria community.
- The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award, which honours outstanding current or posthumous long-term service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement.
- The Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award, which recognizes an organization that is building community capacity and achieving positive change.
The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award and the Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award are honorary awards and as such are not available for nominations from the public. All other awards categories are open for public nominations.
Nomination packages are available online at www.leadershipvictoria.ca or directly from Leadership Victoria at Suite 306 – 620 View Street or by phone at 250-386-2269.
All nominations must be received by 4 pm on Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010.
The awards will be presented on Feb. 16, 2011 at a special ceremony at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/leadershipvicbc
Call For Nominations Victoria Leadership Awards 2011 Images
UVic media releases and other resources for journalists are available on the World Wide Web at http://communications.uvic.ca/media