Date: October 24, 2012
Victoria Leadership Awards Invite Nominations From The Community
The annual Victoria Leadership Awards (VLAs) have been honouring inspired leadership in the community since 2005.
Nominations are currently being accepted for the February 25th, 2013 awards ceremony to be held at the Fairmont Empress hotel. Now is the community’s chance to nominate an exemplary community hero in one of eight prestigious award categories:
- The University of Victoria Community Leadership Awards acknowledge outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Rotary Community Leadership Awards recognize community leaders who meet the Rotary test of the highest levels of ethical behaviour and community leadership benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Vancity Youth Award recognizes a young leader between the ages of 20 and 30 who demonstrates community leadership and helps to build our community’s wealth and well-being with a focus in one or more of three areas: people, planet, place (one award per year).
- The Leadership Victoria Alumni Award recognizes a graduate of the Leadership Victoria program who continues to demonstrate outstanding leadership and service in the Victoria community (one honorary award per year).
- The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award honours outstanding current or posthumous long-term service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement (one award per year).
- The Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award recognizes an organization that is building community capacity and achieving positive change (one award per year).
- The United Way of Greater Victoria Award for Collaboration and Partnership recognizes an individual leader in a non-profit organization who is building community capacity by creating partnerships and collaboration (one award per year).
- The Royal Roads University Leadership Excellence through Coaching and Mentoring Award recognizes long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles that specifically focus on coaching and/or mentoring (one award per year).
VLA Chair Kate Mansell is proud of how the VLAs honour the everyday heroes in our city. "The VLAs are a little like Victoria's Academy Awards for community leadership and just like the 'Oscars' we continue to build upon a legacy of success. This year we are launching a brand new e-form that can be completed entirely online that should help to make the nominations process easier. Our aim is to recognize the very best of the passionate and caring individuals who work tirelessly to make Greater Victoria a strong and vibrant community."
The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award, the Leadership Victoria Alumni Award and the Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award are honorary awards and as such are not available for nominations from the public. All other awards categories are open for public nominations.
Electronic nomination packages are available on the www.leadershipvictoria.ca website, by contacting Leadership Victoria, or by direct link here. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Leadership Victoria at 250-386-2269.
All nominations must be received by 4 pm, Friday, November 30th, 2012.
The awards will be presented on February 25th, 2013 at a gala ceremony at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria.
Victoria Leadership Awards Invite Nominations From The Community Images
UVic media releases and other resources for journalists are available on the World Wide Web at http://communications.uvic.ca/media