Date: February 25, 2013
Winners Of The 2013 Victoria Leadership Awards
The annual Victoria Leadership Awards (VLAs) showcase the distinguished accomplishments of local heroes — our city's very own Academy Awards for community leadership, service and achievement.
21 nominees were celebrated at the ninth annual Victoria Leadership Awards on Feb. 25. The 2013 recipients in each category are:
- Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award honours outstanding long-term service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement (previously announced honorary award) — Robert (Bob) Harman
- University of Victoria Community Leadership Awards acknowledge outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit — David Chuenyan Lai and Ana Maria Peredo
- Rotary Community Leadership Awards recognize community leaders who meet the Rotary test of the highest levels of ethical behaviour and community leadership benefit — Gordon Harper and Colin Smith
- Vancity Youth Award recognizes a young leader between the ages of 20 and 30 who demonstrates community leadership in one or more of the following areas: people - building wealth with those who need it most; planet - sustaining our environment; places - promoting community growth and change — Rupinder Prihar
- Leadership Victoria Alumni Award recognizes a graduate of the Leadership Victoria program who continues to demonstrate outstanding leadership and service in the Victoria community (honorary award) — Shawn Steele
- Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award recognizes an organization that is building community capacity and achieving positive change — Victoria Cool Aid Society
- United Way of Greater Victoria Award for Collaboration and Partnership recognizes an individual leader in a non-profit organization who is building community capacity by creating partnerships and collaboration — Jean McRae
- Royal Roads University Leadership Excellence through Coaching and Mentoring Award recognizes long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles that specifically focus on coaching and/or mentoring — Dianne de Champlain
Established in 2004, the VLAs honour accomplished community heroes who inspire and mentor others to become involved in improving the quality of life in Greater Victoria. Led by Leadership Victoria, the awards are a partnership between Leadership Victoria, the University of Victoria, the Rotary Clubs of Greater Victoria, the Victoria Foundation, and the United Way of Greater Victoria.
Leadership Victoria is a community-based, voluntary organization committed to developing, supporting, recognizing and honouring outstanding community leaders. Since its formation in 2000, it has become the go to organization for community leadership in Greater Victoria, graduating over 250 leaders who work collaboratively to resolve the complex challenges facing our city.
Backgrounder with further details on each winner is attached. Photos are available upon request.
Backgrounder: Victoria Leadership Awards 2013
Backgrounder: David Chuenyan Lai-Acceptance Speech
Winners Of The 2013 Victoria Leadership Awards Images
UVic media releases and other resources for journalists are available on the World Wide Web at http://communications.uvic.ca/media