Date: February 26, 2014
2014 Victoria Leadership AwardsLogo
EXTRAORDINARY LEADERS RECEIVE 10TH ANNIVERSARY AWARD HONOURS
The Victoria Leadership Awards honour the distinguished accomplishments of everyday heroes, recognized for their community leadership, service and achievement. This evening at the Crystal Garden, over 400 guests celebrated 21 extraordinary nominees in eight award categories at the special 10th anniversary gala of the Victoria Leadership Awards.
The 2014 recipients in each award category are:
- Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award (sponsored by Il Terrazzo Ristorante) honours outstanding long-term service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement (previously announced honorary award) — Mickey and Donna Hajash
- University of Victoria Community Leadership Awards acknowledge outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit — Hélène Cazes and Donna Greschner
- Rotary Community Leadership Awards recognize community leaders who meet the Rotary test of the highest levels of ethical behaviour and community leadership benefit — Gordie Dodd and Cindy Moyer
- Vancity Youth Award recognizes a young leader between the ages of 20 and 30 who demonstrates community leadership in one or more of the following areas: people - building wealth with those who need it most; planet - sustaining our environment; places - promoting community growth and change — Sarah Rose Robert
- Leadership Victoria Alumni Award (sponsored by TELUS) recognizes a graduate of the Leadership Victoria program who continues to demonstrate outstanding leadership and service in the Victoria community (honorary award) — Yasmin Rampuri
- Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award recognizes an organization that is building community capacity and achieving positive change — Cridge Centre for the Family
- United Way of Greater Victoria Award for Collaboration and Partnership (sponsored by BC Transit) recognizes an individual leader in a non-profit organization who is building community capacity by creating partnerships and collaboration — Kelly Greenwell
- Royal Roads University Leadership Excellence through Coaching and Mentoring Award recognizes long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles that specifically focus on coaching and/or mentoring — Tammy Dewar
Established in 2004 and celebrating a special 10th anniversary this year, the annual VLAs honour accomplished community heroes who inspire and mentor others to become involved in improving the quality of life in Greater Victoria. Led by Leadership Victoria, the event is a collaboration with the University of Victoria, the Rotary Clubs of Greater Victoria, the Victoria Foundation, and the United Way of Greater Victoria — five partners in recognizing and promoting leadership.
Leadership Victoria is a community-based, voluntary organization committed to developing, supporting, recognizing and honouring outstanding community leaders. Since its formation in 2000, it has become the go to organization for community leadership in Greater Victoria, graduating over 250 leaders who work collaboratively to resolve the complex challenges facing our city.
Backgrounder with biographical details on each winner is attached. Photos are available upon request.
Ivan Watson (Communications Director, Leadership Victoria) at 250-418-0700 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Mansell (Chair, VLA Steering Committee) at 250-478-3872 or email@example.com
2014 Recipients of Victoria Leadership Awards
2014 Victoria Leadership Awards Images
UVic media releases and other resources for journalists are available on the World Wide Web at http://communications.uvic.ca/media