Core services in UVic communications
UVic Communications is the university's central office for providing communications support and advice to campus units. Our expertise includes media relations and communications planning, publications and web based resources.
Our office is responsible for the university's relationship with local, regional, and national media to ensure that the institution's perspective is communicated effectively on issues of concern to its wide range of target audiences.
UVic Communications is an approving authority for media relations materials and other strategic publications, advertising and web materials produced by communications staff outside our office to ensure a university-wide consistency of standards.
Our focus is on news and events that reflect the key priorities and institutional strengths identified in the university's renewed strategic plan A Vision for the Future: Building on Excellence.
UCOM's core services are:
- Maintains UVic’s relationship with print and electronic media at all levels
- Issues media tips and news releases on behalf of the university
in accordance with identified themes that promote reputation-enhancing:
- university expertise
- research projects
- major events
- significant accomplishments
- Identifies and selects items from among those gathered from university units which will do most to enhance the reputation of the institution and have the greatest appeal and relevance to media and our external audiences
- With the approval of the appropriate executive member, arranges news conferences for items of suitable significance
- Establishes criteria for, approves, and edits media tips or news releases prepared by staff from other university units and distributes these to the media
- Serves as the point of contact for media seeking institutional information or comment on university issues
- Produces materials to outline the institutional position on key policies or events/incidents, when required
- Arranges university media spokespeople for specific issues, events or items
- Provides interview preparation assistance to executive members, administrators or faculty who may have to speak to the media on behalf of the institution.
- Oversees all aspects, including project planning, editorial,
design, photography, print production, distribution, publication
evaluation and Web-posting, of the following university-wide
- The Ring
- Annual Review
- Research at the University of Victoria
- UVic knowlEDGE
- Facts & Figures
- Speakers Bureau Guide
- Creates an inventory of suitable content by issuing regular calls for appropriate submissions from university units
- Items are selected based on the goal of the particular publication, the interests of its target audiences, and the relevance of the items to the themes drawn from UVic’s strategic plan.
- Designs, maintains, and determines content for the UVic.ca homepage and associated central service pages, the UVic Communications Web site, the online UVic events calendar, experts list and strategically-significant central Web sites (e.g., Strategic Plan and Campus Plan) using themes drawn from UVic’s strategic plan
- Provides overall coordination and strategic planning for UVic’s Web presence
- Develops, for executive approval, policies and guidelines for UVic Web sites
- Develops generic Web templates for unit Web sites
- Assists other relevant university offices and bodies to enforce graphic and technical standards for UVic Web sites. It is not responsible for the content of unit Web sites.
- Provides communications planning for major, reputation-enhancing or influencing institutional projects as identified by the university executive
- Where time and resources permit, UCOM also endeavors to provide communications advice, consultation and referral services to university units, including the purchase of services which cannot be provided by existing UCOM resources, the required approval processes for these and referrals to the university’s agency of record.
- Daily electronic media clippings service for senior university administrators (Times Colonist, Globe & Mail, National Post, Vancouver Sun, News Group, Monday Magazine, Martlet) with a supplemental weekly package of hardcopy items not available electronically from these publications
- Coordination and promotion of the UVic Speakers Bureau
- Administration of the campus publication distribution system and the noticeboard maintenance system.